Saturday, July 31, 2010

Signs of Improvement

This morning I went out for a ride with my friend (and triathlon mentor) Bob Wright.
Bob is a great guy and a really good athlete. He's been doing triathlons for years, is the guy who inspired me to train again and start doing tris, and is my resident gear-head: almost all the bike equipment I own he either gave or sold me.
Anyway, we go out for an easy ride, couple of hours, goal 30-35 miles. Easy, just mileage. (He has a race tomorrow).
At one point we are just cruising along, talking; I look at my speedometer and we are doing 24 mph. Immediately my mind went back to my second ride--ever--which was also with Bob. At one point, he said, "Get on my wheel and just hang on for a while." I remember putting my head down and pedaling as hard as I could for as long as I could. I topped out at 20 mph (speed blew my mind!) and lasted for maybe 2 miles.
That was 2 years, 30 lbs, and a lot of miles ago.
I guess you do get better...

No comments:

Post a Comment